Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topic  Start new topic  Start Poll

Brad Hogan
Posted: December 15, 2008 08:17 pm
 Quote Post

Group: member
Member No.: 3862

Hi all,

Just had the worst thing happen. Just got out my boa and found little black moving specks and my gut turned. I think I have caught it extremely early however as there were only a few on her. I have cleaned out the whole of her tank and replaced her with kitchen towel bedding and a basic hide and water bowl. I placed her in a warm water bath so that she was completely submerged but still able to just stick up her nose to breathe for about 25-30 mins. I then put some olive oil on a paper towel and wiped her down and I can't see any more of them but i know there may still be eggs or mites on her head area.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with mites and how is the best way to get rid of them?

I thinnk the mites may have come from some cork bark that was in her viv and I have thrown this away.

thanks for any help,
Brad

--------------------
Tarantulas

Scorpions

Snakes:

Lizards:

Amphibians:
   PMEmail PosterYahoo

Brad Hogan
Posted: December 15, 2008 08:50 pm
 Quote Post

I have read other posts made before about mites but just wandered if anyone had any further advice

--------------------
Tarantulas

Scorpions

Snakes:

Lizards:

Amphibians:
   PMEmail PosterYahoo

andy c
Posted: December 16, 2008 04:09 pm
 Quote Post

Member No.: 4631

Hi

Get your self some mite spay and keep the tank spotlessly clean. let the snake has access to a water bowl big enough to immerse itself. showering the snake in the bath with warm water can help to remove mites. Vapona used to be the ultimate way to remove mites but sadly i think it has been taken of the market.

good luck

Andy C
   PMEmail Poster

Brad Hogan
Posted: December 16, 2008 04:49 pm
 Quote Post

ive heard mixed things about the mite spray. ive heard the stuff from pet shops don't really work and the stuff from vets can be risky. the last thing i want to do is kill her. i am thinking of soaking her tub in 10% bleach (containing chlorine) solution everyday and microwaving her water dish and hide everyday to explode any eggs and bathing her each day and see how that goes. failing that, i'm thinking of ordering some predatory mites to fix the problem. Has anyone used these and do they pose any threat to the snake?

--------------------
Tarantulas

Scorpions

Snakes:

Lizards:

Amphibians:
   PMEmail PosterYahoo

andy c
Posted: December 17, 2008 11:56 am
 Quote Post

A bleach bath really is not a good idea... If the snake ingests bleach, which it will you are going to have problems.. Mite sprey is your best option and again keep the tank clean. I have used ivermectin before with quite good results. This is obtained from the vets. Try and find a local reptile vet they should be able to give you some good advice.
   PMEmail Poster

andy c
Posted: December 17, 2008 12:04 pm
 Quote Post

I have just read the active ingredients of beaphar insect spray and it contains ivermectin which kills mites ant ticks. The zoo med treatment works on the same principal as olive oil.

Andy C
   PMEmail Poster

Brad Hogan
Posted: December 17, 2008 04:04 pm
 Quote Post

Okay will give it a try if all else fails. Is bleach really that bad. I soak it in copious amounts of clean water twice after and pressure spray it for ages, no bleach is left at all, im psoitive. i am just terified in case i usee too much ivermectin and kill her.

--------------------
Tarantulas

Scorpions

Snakes:

Lizards:

Amphibians:
   PMEmail PosterYahoo

Johanna McMullen
Posted: February 15, 2009 11:14 pm
 Quote Post

Member No.: 2093

Brad

Had a terrible infestation with my Burmese last year. Either get a good reptile vet to have a look and hope they prescribe Fontline Spray or just buy it yourself. It's not licensed for reptiles, but I used it and it was fantastic.
I have read up on Ivermectin, and injections are ht and miss. You can buy topical applications of it, but it's crap! Topical apps are usually Rabbit/Guinea pig treatments. I have tried them, they don't work.

If you already have cats/dogs and can buy the spray without going to a vet, then the process is as follows... You spray cotton wool, or a cloth, with the frontline, wipe it down their body, paying close attention to the head and throat area, and then a few minutes later, rinse them off with warm water. Keep cage furniture to a bare minimum (waterbowl and hide, prefereably plastic) and newspaper or towel as a substrate.

This worked wonders for my girl and she was infested! She was attacked so bad, they were biting inside the edge of her eye lenses and it got really inflamed. She's now recovered incredibly well, and the inflamation has gone.

--------------------
Jo McMullen

My Collection:

Other Creatures:
   PM

Brad Hogan
Posted: February 16, 2009 05:31 pm
 Quote Post

It seems as though the mites are gone now (touch wood). just did it by being really obsessive with cleaning her out. cleaned her out everyday and did the bleach wash thing. soaked her everyday for a week. its been over a month now since I have seen any sign of mites so she's now back on her bark substrate rather than towel. looks much better.

--------------------
Tarantulas

Scorpions

Snakes:

Lizards:

Amphibians:
   PMEmail PosterYahoo

Johanna McMullen
Posted: February 17, 2009 07:59 pm
 Quote Post

Member No.: 2093

Just keep an eye out for signs again, there may be eggs you haven't killed. Just be careful with the bleach too, that's pretty strong stuff, even diluted, and it's not just contact problems you have to consider, it's the chlorine fumes too.

--------------------
Jo McMullen

My Collection:

Other Creatures:
   PM

Brad Hogan
Posted: February 17, 2009 09:28 pm
 Quote Post

yeah no worries, I haven't bleached in over a month and a half now since there is no sign of mites. she seems to have been clear of them for ages now and i think the life cycle of a mite culture has long passed but will keep an eye out for the next month anyway.

--------------------
Tarantulas

Scorpions

Snakes:

Lizards:

Amphibians:
   PMEmail PosterYahoo

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic    Start new topic  Start Poll