Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topic  Start new topic  Start Poll

Johanna McMullen
Posted: April 25, 2009 11:24 pm
 Quote Post

Group: member
Member No.: 2093

I've just bought my first Leopard Geckos, and have bought a 'breeding' pair...

Right, I have done all the research about housing, feeding etc, but have just done some research about breeding.

I am not looking to breed them to sell the young, I would like to perhaps have one clutch to keep and that's it. From what I have read online, I have been far to naive!

Now, don't get me wrong, I know the 'birds and the bees' and that when you mix a male and a female that you are highly likely to get babies, but I was not aware that they would be 'at it' that regularly and that this could be so detrimental to the female's health.

So firstly, I have a lovely female, but I am convinced she is underweight for a start, so what weight should she be?

Also, if it's going to be a case that they are 'at it' all the time, whether it be on the male's insistance (isn't that always the way?) or not, should I be looking at seperating them for the sake of the female? Whether this should be a temporary or long term thing...

And finally, if I do get a clutch, can I incubate them without the need for shop-bought incubator, can I knock something up myself?

Any advice greatly appreciated, we've had these two for about 7 hours and we're both in love with them, I just want to do right...

PS if anyone has any tips on general care, I do appreciate the help, I know the information on the web can be limited and biased, so experienced keepers, please share your findings, I want to make sure I do the right thing with these guys...

Jo

--------------------
Jo McMullen

My Collection:

Other Creatures:
   PM

Gray G.
Posted: April 27, 2009 07:42 am
 Quote Post

burmese

Member No.: 5926

email us!!! bred them for twenty years!!!!

spiderfreak69@live.co.uk

biggrin.gif

--------------------
My Collection:
   PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Damien
Posted: April 29, 2009 08:39 pm
 Quote Post

Do you want to get kippered?

Member No.: 731

How come people always seem to want to breed stuff without any experience in even keeping such animals before?

Im not having a go at you it just amazes me how many new keepers often want to breed!

--------------------
user posted image

I LIKE BOMBAY ROLLS
   PMEmail Poster

Gray G.
Posted: May 01, 2009 09:56 pm
 Quote Post

burmese

Member No.: 5926

££££££££££££ springs to mind!!!!

but reptiles are a dead end at the mo!!! and prices are falling every day!!!

--------------------
My Collection:
   PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Johanna McMullen
Posted: May 02, 2009 02:09 pm
 Quote Post

Member No.: 2093

I get what you guys are saying and I agree, we are obsessed with breeding when we have little or no experience, there's no market for them, and we may not be able to afford to keep all the offspring ourselves!

I have had a good long think, and done a fair bit of reading and have decided I do not want to start a 'breeding program'. I have now also split the male and female up.

I know she's already mated with him, and I know she can store sperm, but with them being housed together where we bought them, she will have already had ample opportunity to have done it many times before.

She is far too underweight at the moment, she's only 41g and my biggest priority at the moment is to get her up to weight.

I know I was to gung-ho at the start and had all these plan for bredding etc, but I have changed my priotities.

I thanks everyone for their advice on the matter.

We both love these lizards and have had us stood, captivated, at their behaviour, even when they're not doing anything partciularly exciting! Lol I have lost quite a bit of time after just popping in to see how they are doing, then ended up just watching them, especially after 'lights out'!

As I said, we just want to get her up to weight and then keep them seperate for the time being. I know she may well produce some eggs in the meantime, I will decide what to do with them when the time comes.

I have spent hours, trying to set them up as best I know how, getting the temps right, providing a varied enough diet, and making sure they have enough places tp hide, both at the warm end of the tank, and the cool. I have provided calcium supplement and I am looking at some Nutrobal for dusting the livefood.

I know I probably came across as an idiot in my first post, but I assure you, I worry about these animals of mine and want to do the right thing.

Thanks for your feedback though. smile.gif

PS I do not think that breeding them is going to make me a fast buck, I know they don't sell that readily, and there are so many people out there doing it as a business, providing quality livestock, that was not my intention. You only have to check the reptile ads to see how saturated the market is.

This post has been edited by Johanna McMullen on May 02, 2009 02:12 pm

--------------------
Jo McMullen

My Collection:

Other Creatures:
   PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic    Start new topic  Start Poll