Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topic  Start new topic  Start Poll

cueball8
Posted: January 03, 2007 12:00 pm
 Quote Post

Group: member
Member No.: 1612

does anyone here know how i would go about getting a DWA licence? I dont want to get it just yet but i was thinking that maybe in the future like 6-12 months or so once ive got some experience keeping/breeding some of the more aggressive spiders/scorpions i would like to get some of the more dangerous stuff like deathstalkers and funnelwebs etc.
thanks

--------------------
My Collection:

Non tarantula pets
My Collection:
   PMEmail PosterMSN

Phil Rea
Posted: January 03, 2007 12:11 pm
 Quote Post

THE KETCHUP KID

Member No.: 824

You'll need a DWA licence for each species, a vet's visit (which you pay for), and will have to pay a variable fee (depending on your local authority), assuming the vet's happy.

Contact your local council for DWA licence details. My local council charges 146 per year for a licence smile.gif

This post has been edited by PhilR on January 03, 2007 12:13 pm

--------------------

I keep:
   PMEmail Poster

nicoladolby
Posted: January 03, 2007 12:45 pm
 Quote Post

Member No.: 1089

Hi. Before you even think of getting a DWA licence check your bank balance. You not only have to pay your fee but also two visits are needed, one from your local council officer and one from an independent assessor (vet usually) to assess your premises for suitability. help.gif When you've paid for these you then have to provide insurance cover for yourself and any other individual who may be harmed by your pet on an ongoing basis. Then, if all is approved (you won't get your money back if its not fing.gif ) you pay your fee each year, buy your pet (including shipping costs) and pay for keeping it. whip.gif I am not sure if you have to pay for your antivenom to be kept, I presume, at your local hospital or infirmary or whether the NHS will cover this. Sorry to be so blunt but thats how it is in this country. cry.gif Try www.defra.gov.uk for more info. goodluck.gif

--------------------
My Collection:
   PMEmail Poster

Phil Rea
Posted: January 03, 2007 01:05 pm
 Quote Post

THE KETCHUP KID

No council visit was required by my authority, only a vet's one who would provide a report which was sent to the council to issue (or not) the DWA licence depending on the vet's conclusions

--------------------

I keep:
   PMEmail Poster

cueball8
Posted: January 03, 2007 02:32 pm
 Quote Post

Member No.: 1612

i wasnt expecting it to be easy or cheap i just wasnt sure how to go about getting it, i only want 2 animals wich need them anyway a deathstalker scorpion or maybe 2 and either a sydney funnelweb or an australian redback.

--------------------
My Collection:

Non tarantula pets
My Collection:
   PMEmail PosterMSN

Phil Rea
Posted: January 03, 2007 02:57 pm
 Quote Post

THE KETCHUP KID

Oh, and it's a yearly fee too. So you'll need two, and you'll need to renew them every year (prob won't require a vet's visit on renewal though).

Check with your council how much they charge, as the fees vary widely.

--------------------

I keep:
   PMEmail Poster

Dan Hopwood
Posted: January 03, 2007 06:58 pm
 Quote Post

8 legged goth

Member No.: 997

this helpful to me to as although it wont be for atleast 10 years i want to get a few lactrodectus and some various others. maybe a cobra. i just hope cost ggoes down abit or i will need a good job.

--------------------
im not wierd. every1 else is just too normal
   PMEmail Poster

David Maguire
Posted: February 09, 2007 03:21 pm
 Quote Post

Haplopelma lividum

Member No.: 1004

you could get false widows false water cobras macrothele

--------------------
Spiderman ,Spiderman oh god im getting bored already any way you get my drift Im Spiderman not that damn copycat Peter Parker.

D.M
   PMEmail Poster

silkk801
Posted: March 25, 2007 08:08 pm
 Quote Post

Member No.: 794

ok heres what i know on this. my bro had to get dwa as we live in n.i and dwa was eventually brought in here. contact your local council office they will point you in right direction. one license covders ALL his snakes, it cost 80 notes for the year, he had to take out a public liability insurance that cost 190 for the year and covers him for any 5 snake, excluding any spitter as this is a bigger risk and would cost more. i dont know what he payed for his 1 vet visit. but all in all it was alot cheaper than he had expected. so it would do no harm to .look into it

--------------------
There's a fine line between my love and my fear
   PMEmail Poster

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic    Start new topic  Start Poll